Username Password
Home About Us FAQ Today's Posts New Posts Search

PetOwnerTalk.com > Pet & Animal Forums > Critters > Chinchillas » Can Chinchilla chew on toilet paper roll??

Old 08-02-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
feebe

feebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Can Chinchilla chew on toilet paper roll??

Hello,
Um.....I brought my 2 chinchillas four months ago. One is silver and one is hetero beige, and they are both boys. They work out fine together, but they seems to bite a lot. Every time they come out, they will start to bite on the edges of the wall, the carpet, and sometimes even the door. My mom start yelling at me about that. So everytime they come out to have their free fun, I fallow them. When I sit down, they start biting again. Sooo... I have an idea of giving them toilet paper roll, but I am not sure if they are poisonous or not. Can any1 help me?

p.s: I'm a beginner.

>~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
feebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:24 AM   #2
queenkayla
WCU

queenkayla is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello feebe,
the answer to your question is yes. they can have them and mine love them. t.p.rolls make great cheap toys. congrets on being a new owner. they can be hard work but they will always keep you very happy. one tip to watch them is sit down with them and play with them. and when they start to chew say no firmly and if you have too a bop on the nose. not to hard just a little bop. well good luck on the chewing thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kayla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Lil Sugar Chinchillas~
queenkayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:15 AM   #3
Candycane

Candycane has a spectacular aura aboutCandycane has a spectacular aura aboutCandycane has a spectacular aura about
Yes, like Kayla said, they can have toilet paper rolls. I like to cut mine lengthwise all the way down the middle if they are going to have it unsupervised. That way, they can't stick their head in and get stuck.

As for the chewing...chins just do that. Distraction training can work very well. If you haven't already, go to the store and buy some rolled oats...not the instant or quick oats, just the regular ones (your mom will probably know what I'm talking about if you don't). At playtime, scoop out about 2 teaspoons into a bowl and sit down. Everytime one of the chins comes up to you, give them an oat. Soon enough, they will be visiting more often and it will distract them enough that the chewing will be cut down. You can further the training by saying a command before giving the oat, like "Come", and hopefully you will be able to call them over to you in time.

Candycane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:06 PM   #4
feebe

Thanks a lot!!
Old 08-03-2003, 01:06 PM   #5
Solarsis
Trained by Professional Chins

Solarsis will become famous soon enoughSolarsis will become famous soon enough
TP mak egreat toys! They are good for a distraction but not for trimming teeth down though. Just make sure they have wood or cuttlebone to shew on as well and they will do fine. As for the chewing everything in sight, that's quite normal considering they are rodents

and her bouncy furballs:

(510/1000)
Solarsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:38 PM   #6
clearjade
Lavander's Mom

clearjade will become famous soon enough
Toilet paper rolls make great toys
: Together in Singapore
clearjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
feebe

um...I'm just wondering.....
Can they chew on popsicle stick too??
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2003, 08:03 PM   #8
thedustbath

thedustbath is an unknown quantity at this point
my chinchillas also love toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls. Cardboard boxes that are cut up will work two, but....*****make sure the cardboard is clean, dry, and doesn't have any ink or stickers or anything but just the cardboard***

also, Pamela at chincolores@cs.com makes wonderful chinchilla toys that are very inexpensive.

Cuttlebones are okay to give on occasion. My chinchillas also LOVE to chew on the seagrass mats at www.chinworld.com (and they're cheap!).

Hope that helps

Libby
www.thedustbath.com

thedustbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:57 AM   #9
feebe

Thanks a lot.
My chins actually eat the toilet paper roll into their stomach, will it be bad for their health??

"SoRRy! I have so many questions, and I still don't know if they can chew on popsicle stick."
Old 08-04-2003, 02:25 AM   #10
Cinnamon
Bootcamper extraordinaire

Cinnamon will become famous soon enough
Feebe - I avoid popsicle sticks because I've heard of a few people who had to rush their chinchillas to the vet due to sharp wood fragments stuck in their throats from the popsicle sticks. But I know that others have had no trouble with them.

I wouldn't let your chinchillas ingest large amounts of cardboard (from tp rolls or any other source). A little bit won't hurt them, but watch the quantity. Maybe you could give them the roll for a day or two, and then take it away when they seem to be eating it (rather than playing with it) ?

(530/1000)
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote