Username Password
Home About Us FAQ Today's Posts New Posts Search

PetOwnerTalk.com > Pet & Animal Forums > Other Pets & Animals » Bit by a degu

Old 10-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
importteeza

importteeza is an unknown quantity at this point
Bit by a degu

OMG..My dad does not understand that when a degu makes squealing noises he does NOT like what you are trying to do...OK, So my dad continues to try to get the duge out of his cage and he will NOT goto him. So my dad gets him in his grasp and squeezed him to try to keep him in his hands. He jumps out of his hands so I reach in to try to get him out for my dad..Yea worst mistake, He was a pretty upset little thing..Bit me! HARD...Broke skin and made me bleed for about 10 mins. Now my poor little finger is all swollen and the degu is upset cause he knows that he was wrong...He wont move around in his cage he is just sitting in his wheel staring at me..
What are the odds that he would have rabies? Should I goto the hospital? And how do I make him go about being normal? I know it was a mistake and it would have been my dad he bit...

Damn dads...Dont ever want to listen!

importteeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
ghostdesire
Mother to the best two kids!

ghostdesire is on a distinguished road
I don't think that it has rabies, just wash your finger and I'm sure you'll be fine. It will be sore for awhile but that's about it. Just be careful next time Just remember if he doesn't want to come out, he doesn't want too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ghostdesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
importteeza

Thank you so much, I just got really worried. He never ever bit before..And he is just to cute I dont want to have to get rid of him. I know I will be afraid to touch him now and I will have to learn to trust him again!
Old 10-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
suzoo
<-- Pumpkin

suzoo will become famous soon enoughsuzoo will become famous soon enough
He will have to learn to trust you too! He definately gave you & your father enough warning that he didn't want to be touched.. then he did what he had to in order to protect himself..
What you need to do is go very slow with him.. Let him come to you, not vice versa.. and don't give up handling him.. Who wants a pet that you can't touch.. not good for him or you.
Do some good old bribing with treats (but not too many) and he'll become an awesome pet... Degus are normally very friendly so it shouldn't take long for him to trust you again..

~Sue~

Montana~Kokoroo~Wiley~Wilson~
Manuel
~Pablo
~Lucia
suzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
importteeza

Thank you much..
I def should not have touched him once my dad messed with him. But stupid me...Lol. I wont do that again.
But other than that he really is a great pet I am still learning so much about him and degus in general.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
Solarsis
Trained by Professional Chins

Solarsis will become famous soon enoughSolarsis will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by importteeza
What are the odds that he would have rabies? Should I goto the hospital?
Make sure you clean the wound and apply some antiseptic cream such as polysporin on it. It should be fine as long as you keep the wound clean. If it starts getting infected then I would suggest seeing a Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by importteeza
And how do I make him go about being normal?
He IS being normal! He's just trying to defend himself after having given you guys plenty of warning that he was not liking the handling. As suzoo said, the issue is getting him to trust you guys. Lots of treats and taking things slow will definitely help. And also make sure your dad or anyone else doesn't handle him like he was handled today.

and her bouncy furballs:

(510/1000)
Solarsis is offline   Reply With Quote