Username Password
Home About Us FAQ Today's Posts New Posts Search

PetOwnerTalk.com > Pet & Animal Forums > Exotic & Unique Pets > Hedgehogs » Spike's Delight in Canada

Old 12-14-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
neuroleptical

neuroleptical is an unknown quantity at this point
Spike's Delight in Canada

Is this hedgie food available here? My internet searches have yielded nothing.
I do not have hedgie yet, I decided to wait fot full-time employment after graduation for my hedgie.

*Proudly herbivorous since 1993.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
neuroleptical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:02 AM   #2
neuroleptical

anyone?

Old 12-17-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
clearjade
Lavander's Mom

clearjade will become famous soon enough
Doesn't look like it's found too easily in Canada. Have you thought about getting it shipped from the US? Or trying another brand of food?
: Together in Singapore
clearjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:39 PM   #4
neuroleptical

Every other brand I've seen is pretty poor. So I guess when it's hedgie-time, I will get it shipped from the US>

Old 12-18-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
clearjade
Lavander's Mom

clearjade will become famous soon enough
Have you thought about using Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul? Pam can ship it to you: http://www.canadianexoticpets.com/hedgehog.html
: Together in Singapore
clearjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
Kendra

Kendra is an unknown quantity at this point
Royal Canin Slim 38 Cat food has also had very good reviews from canadian hedgehog owners, Innova Lite also has. They are both available in Canada, and you would not have to ship. Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Lite has also been said to be a very good food, and Pam's shipping costs aren't bad at all. I personally think that these cat foods are a lot better than any hedgehog foods on the market right now, all I've seen or read about have poor quality ingredients, and poor fat-protein ratios.

Here are some links to articles and other hedgehog nutritional information sites (in case you haven't seen them already, there are a lot of different opinions on what is best for hedgehogs, but it's interesting to read some different theories):

http://www.pogstarhedgehogs.com/nutrition/
http://www.mihog.org/diet/insects.phtml
http://www.feline-nutrition.com/locate.html
http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/comemee.../hhcare7A.html
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...%3D%2773%27%5D

It is basically hit and miss with hedgehogs, and most people reccomend mixing at least 2 different types of food so that your hedgehog gets a good variety. No one food contains everything a hedgehog needs. I currently am feeding Royan Canin Slim 38, which she seems to really enjoy, it has good quality ingredients, and great protein and fat content; I am planning on adding Innova Lite into her diet pretty soon as well. The most important thing for hedgehogs is that they have high protein and low fat. The percentages you should be aiming for are Protein: 38% Fat: 10% Fiber: 16%. The lower the fat the better. Good luck, I hope I didn't give you a bunch of information that you already knew.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #7
michelle

michelle is an unknown quantity at this point
They do sell "hedgehog food" here, but really it is just catfood with a hedgehog package and a higher price tag. My hedgehogs have done just fine on premium cat food, and of course lots of treats and buggies.
michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:46 PM   #8
redrose
Red, the devil

redrose is on a distinguished road
hh food

Hi Neuro,

A women named Lenny Groves,who had hedgies knows were to get Spikes Delight....she was part of the IHA and lives in Canada.....and I don't have her email address but maybe someone knows how to contact her.

red

p.s Bloane aka Becca from chins and quills may know...i'll pm her for you and ask.
redrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
neuroleptical

Thanks redrose, although I am becoming convinced that it really is just cat food w/ a pic of a hegie on it!!! Still I would like to try some for Haley.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
ancole9

ancole9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to find online

I know a site that sells Spike's Delite, if your still interested by this time, it also have's alot of stuff and information if it can help. the price is 10$ for 2.5 lb + 7$ of shipping or 15$ for 5 lb + 10$ of shipping. I know with the shipping it kinda makes alot but Im still looking for sheeper price. So the cite is; hedgehogsbyvickie.com

I hope it will help you ( if not to late... )
ancole9 is offline   Reply With Quote